The Point Arena Merchants Association brings Mendocino County’s Almost Fringe Festival to town for the second annual weekend event. Activities and events for all ages will be held in and around Point Arena April 27, 28, 29. The Fringe Fest is a take on the International Fringe Festival, a celebration of diversity and creativity in art of all forms.
• Coast Community Library will kick off the weekend with a Chalk the Walk event from 11:00am-5:00pm. Sets of chalk will be available at the library for artists of all ages to decorate the sidewalks of town! Friends of the Coast Community Library will assign sidewalk areas for chalking and organize the judging of designs. All participants in this free event will receive prizes, so bring the family and friends down to help beautify the city!
• Coast Highway Artists Collective will feature member artists’ interpretations of what is on the fringe, as well as guest artists Karen Shapiro, Laurie MacAdams, Jane Reichhold, Carol Frechette and Doric Jemison Ball. The gallery, at 284 Main Street, will be open Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 11:00am-7:00pm. Friday evening will feature the Highwaymen with guest floutist Leslie Dahlhoff from 5:00pm to 7:00pm. Saturday afternoon will feature Barbara Johannes playing the accordion and Saturday evening from 5:00pm-7:00pm will be the joyous tunes of Black Sugar Rose, featuring Todd Orenick and Charlene Rowland. Wine, drinks and hors d’oeuvres will be available on both evenings. (Full story on page 19.)
• On Friday evening from 8:00pm-10:00pm you will find singer/songwriter Marcos Pereda at 215 Main. Marcos is a prize winning Cuban artist with a diverse performance background, including a recent recording with Mendocino County guitar legend Alex de Grassi. Enjoy one of 215’s famous panini sandwiches and a glass of wine or local beer while you enjoy “Canciones del Espíritu,” Songs from the Spirit.
• Roots Herbal Apothecary will celebrate local art and creativity throughout the weekend by offering a 15% discount on hand crafted items. Stop in for a discount on handmade soaps, candles, cards, jewelry and knit items, as well as their entire line of organic, medicinal tea blends and body products. Many Main Street merchants will be open, look for pop up savings and interesting items during this fun weekend!
• Saturday is an exciting day in and beyond the city limits! There will be a Pop–Up Gallery & Live Music throughout the town from 11:00am-4:00pm. Vendors at the Gallery & Market include Kersten Tanner (Jewelry & Clothing), August Valentine Sustainable Luxury Clothing & Goods by Charlie B., Oz Farm Stand, Jo Athey with Athey's Great Bowls of Fun, Allen and Astrid with their Waffles & Baked Goods Farm Stand, Rebecca Barnes (Jewelry), Justin York (pottery) and Emilie Alsager with Madrona Leather goods.
• You will want to plan to eat lunch in town - Ana Mathis of Ono Pono will be selling plant based lunches and the AMS 7th grade class will be vending fish tacos. The Hot Dog cart will be in town, and Bob’s Smoked Chicken Lunch will be at 215 Main. Pazzo Marco Gelato will be set up, along with Café Selkie for your sweet tooth! Stop by Franny’s Cup & Saucer and the Arena Market and Café for Fringe Fest specials!
• Head out to the Point Arena Lighthouse for more festivities! From 10:00am-3:30pm the unique art of local Kashaya Pomo artist Eric Wilder will be on display and available for sale. Eric will be telling stories during the day; at 11:00am will be “The Creation of the Ocean” and at 2:00pm he will tell “How the Sun Came Out.” The Lighthouse is also hosting local poet Sal Martinez. Sal is a member of the Manchester band of Pomo Indians and has been published in Memoir Magazine, Misfit Magazine and Red Indian Road West Anthology. He will be reading at noon and 3:00pm.
• Back in downtown Point Arena, the music never stops! At Centennial Plaza, enjoy local Tango dancers from 12:30 -2:00pm followed by the music of Black Sugar Rose from 2:00-3:00pm. Look for local legend Van Sickle and his accordion on the street corners, and many TBA guest musicians throughout the day!
• Drop by the Zen House for the “Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” to view rare, historic and collectible motorcycles from 2-4, and enjoy storewide discounts and complimentary delectable edibles!
• The local African hoof stock will host Wine Hour with the Giraffes at 1:30pm and 3:00pm. Enjoy a glass of wine in the B. Bryan Preserve Giraffe House and have the multi-talented Rothschild Giraffe custom paint a pair of wine glasses for you! Learn fun facts about these amazing endangered creatures from the keeper, along with some training tips! Cost is $65 (must be 21). Register @www.bbryanpreserve.com.
• Saturday night Arena Theater will roll out the red carpet at 7:30pm for Talent on the Fringe, showcasing the creative spirit of our coastal community! Fun for the whole family with performers of all ages! There is still time to sign up (required), call 882-3272. The show is $20 per person and will benefit the Arena Theater.
• At 8:00pm the Lighthouse is back in the spotlight for the (almost) Full Pink Moon Night Tour. Climb to the top of the tallest lighthouse on the West Coast, illuminated by the (almost) full moon. Cost is $30 each, $50 for two.
• 215 Main will feature the art of local talent Lena Bullamore along with Latin, Brazilian and Cuban tunes from DJ Jose Ruiz at 8:00pm. As always, the sandwich menu and extensive wine and beer list will be available. No cover.
• The adventures continue on Sunday beginning at 1pm with the All About Nettles workshop. Join local herbalist Gillian Nye and farm educator Jennifer Ketring for an afternoon exploring the wonderful world of nettles!! Begin by wildcrafting along the coast and then head to the farm for an in-depth look at this herb and it’s many benefits and uses, along with lots of tastings and recipe sharing. The wood fired oven will be in action for some delicious nettle pesto pizzetas. Participants will take their nettles home, as well as products crafted during the day. Limited space available. 1:00pm-4:30pm/ $45per person. More info and registration @www.windyhollowfarm.com.
• From 2:00pm-3:00pm, Visit Oz Farm for their annual Almost Fringe Tour. This working farm is in a quiet, private valley along the Garcia River. Enjoy a day in the life of Oz with a walk through the organic agricultural fields, forest to the river. The free tour will last about an hour. Please arrive on time, bring a water bottle and durable walking shoes.
• Topping off the weekend will be Beer Bingo at the Pier Chowder House & Tap Room. Cost is $30 per person (must be 21) and includes beer, appetizers and of course, Beer Bingo!
Visit the Point Arena Merchants Association website www.pointarena.net for up to date information. See you in Point Arena!!